Today, the world is a more accepting place than it was decades ago. However, there is still discrimination. It is especially prevalent in the workplace. Not all employers embrace Florida LGBT workplace inclusion.
Some businesses have worked hard to treat their LGBTQ workers fairly. In an effort to promote inclusion in the workplace, the Human Rights Campaign Foundation ranked businesses according to the way they treat the LGBT population.
Since 2002, the HRCF has been releasing an annual report on global employers. That report is known as the Corporate Equality Index. In their latest report, the HRCF mentioned several Florida businesses. Some of them received perfect scores of 100, while others didn’t perform as well.
To receive a score of 100, companies needed to do the following:
- Give the spouse or partner health care coverage
- Give coverage for transition-related expenses
- Eliminate transgender exclusions from health care plans
- Allow for complete LGBTQ inclusion with supply chain programs
In Miami, Akerman LLP received a score of 100. Another Miami company with a perfect score was Carnival Corporation. Close behind was Burger King, with a 95 and Royal Caribbean with a 90. With a score of 80, Ryder System Inc. also deserves a mention.
Nearby in Fort Lauderdale, Citrix Systems Inc. scored 100. Office Depot in Boca also received the same score. Further north, Harris Corp. in Melbourne received a perfect score. The same is true of Fidelity National Information Services Inc. in Jacksonville.
Southwest Florida had a few notable scores. For instance, Carlton Fields P.A. in Tampa scored 100. The same is true of Tech Data Corp, WellCare Health Plans Inc., and Holland & Knight LLP. Located in Estero, Hertz Global Holdings Inc. also received a 100.
A few honorable mentions include:
- Disney, which is not based in Florida but scored 100
- Darden Restaurants Inc. in Orlando with a 90
- Raymond James Financial Inc. in St. Petersburg with a 90
- Ultimate Software Weston with a 90
- HSN Inc. in St. Petersburg with a 90
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida Inc. in Jacksonville with an 85
To review the full report, click here.
For more LGBT news, click here.