It’s the age-old story: you’ve been thinking about getting down on one knee and popping the question, but you don’t know how to pick out a wedding band for the occasion! Yes, the social expectation is clear when it comes to proposing to women, but there’s not a lot of precedent about proposing to a man – we’re here to fix that.
When you want to express a feeling that can’t be summed up in words, you’ll need the perfect ring that says everything. But how do you do that?
Reading this guide is a great first step. We discuss everything from popular men’s styles, how they’re worn, and all the things you need to know before you shop for a ring! To top it all off, we also name our number-one store pick for photo-perfect bands.
Before You Purchase The Engagement Ring
Maybe you’ve already got your eyes on a collection of gold rings and men’s wedding bands, or perhaps you have no idea where to start. Either way, there are a few checklist items all would-be proposers need to work through before jumpstarting the search for the perfect wedding ring.
Here are the three things to consider before committing to a purchase.
1. Decide On A Budget
When someone says “wedding ring”, the first thing to come to mind is price. Contrary to what the polite society of yesteryear may lead you to think, you should only shop for options that won’t break the bank. After all, buying wedding jewelry is an investment that can change the trajectory of your life, but you don’t want it to leave you financially strained.
2. Take Stock Of His Personal Style
Now that you’ve come to terms with your ring budget and decided on the exact amount you can spend at the store, you can move on to the best part: finding the right design. Ask yourself a few questions when looking at collections of male engagement rings:
- Would he want something understated?
- Would he rather have you shop for something vintage or specially made?
- Does he want any specific stone, like black diamonds or something else?
- Does he have any store preferences?
3. Find Out His Ring Size
Finding your man’s ring size can be difficult, but there are many ways to go about it. You can ask his family members, best friends, or even just swipe a ring from his drawer to bring to a jewelry consultant. But if getting his ring size beforehand proves to be impossible, you can always resize the ring – just make sure to choose a style that’s easily adjustable!
How To Choose Engagement Rings For Men
Finding the best male engagement rings can be tricky, but a proper guide can make the process so much easier! Here are all of our most valuable tips for finding the perfect men’s engagement ring.
Choosing The Right Band Width
Mens engagement rings have a more comprehensive range of widths and weights, which means it’s easier to make mistakes when you shop. Luckily, there are a few helpful things you can follow to make the search hassle-free. Here are the two rules of thumb you can follow while you filter through different designs:
- Thinner rings (1.5mm – 3mm) are suited for men with long and slender fingers. These are perfect for grooms that like to keep things simple.
- Thicker rings (6mm – 12mm) are great for men with larger hands. These make a stronger impression and are generally a little more ornate than their thinner counterparts.
As with any item fashioned from metal, you’ll have to be particularly discerning when choosing a men’s engagement ring. Different metals all have their benefits and tradeoffs, but they’re all devastatingly beautiful on the right finger. Here are some of the materials a would-be ring buyer’s bound to run into:
- Yellow gold: Yellow gold rings are considered the “traditional” choice for an engagement ring, making it a top-shelf choice for timeless results.
- White gold: White gold is the more modern take on traditional rings. Its light finish tends to make stones look bigger and brighter.
- Rose gold: Mostly the same as other gold options, rose gold rings generally have more copper mixed in. However, this also means these pinkish rings are usually stronger than white or yellow bands.
- Stainless steel: Stainless steel bands can be an excellent choice for the groom on a budget. They’re solid and lustrous but also much more challenging to resize down the road.
- Palladium: If you love the idea of affordable Titanium, Palladium is a perfect fit. Palladium is slightly harder than Titanium, but also more affordable. It’s ideal for the man who’s rough with his hands.
- Platinum: Like gold and palladium, platinum is a precious metal. It is a popular choice because of its heavy weight and the way it maintains its natural white color. It is, however, more expensive to repair because of its heat index and malleability, so make sure you shop at a store with a free warranty program, like this popular Tampa Bay jeweler.
- Carbon Fiber: Carbon fiber is another durable choice and also scratch resistant. Made from organic polymers, carbon fiber wedding bands can either be made entirely from carbon fiber or it can be used as an inlay in the ring.
The Perfect Fit
When you shop for an engagement ring, you want something that’s more than just picture perfect; you want a beautiful piece of jewelry that’s comfortable. A general rule is that the band should smoothly glide over the knuckle when putting it on and stay snugly in place at the base of your groom’s finger.
Choosing The Right Finish
One thing many people don’t realize is that a ring’s finish makes all the difference. Here are some of the most common types of finishes that jewelry design services offer on standard metals, like gold and platinum:
- High polish: This is the most popular finish for engagement bands. These have the classic reflective look but may also be more prone to scratching.
- Satin: A satin finish means your ring will have a flat, sleek look that isn’t shiny or reflective. This can be an outstanding option for folks that prefer the understated look.
- Brush finish: A unique textured choice, brushed finishes emulate the cross-hatched look of being rubbed over by a wire brush.
Our Other Tips For Making The Right Selection
Timelessness Over Trends
When deciding on the ideal men’s engagement ring, most people ask themselves the same question: should you follow trends or order something a little more tailored to the love of your life?
Some folks may choose to shop for their wedding ring through a popular online collection, but website photos are usually slightly different from when the items are delivered to your home. Additionally, chain stores may sometimes inflate prices based on how “popular” a style is, which means you get less value for your money.
For the best possible results when looking for diamond rings for men, we recommend exploring all your options! You can make a call to your local jeweler to find out what they have in stock, or have the shop custom-make one for you. We also recommend signing up for their email list to get updates on what’s in store.
Stone Purchases Don’t Have To Be Perfect
If you’ve ever worked with a jewelry expert, you’ll know that every diamond engagement ring receives a “grade” based on the quality of its stone. That said, you don’t need to shop for the highest-grade engagement ring in a collection to make a statement. After all, prices can double or even triple based on their grade.
We recommend choosing an item from a collection that fits your budget and your beau’s personal style over any grading.
Look For Men’s Engagement Rings With Stories
Here’s a pro tip: when you shop for the ideal engagement ring for your man, consider checking out older jewelry or stones that have stories behind them. Many jewel experts usually have rings passed down from generation to generation in stock or can rework an old piece of existing jewelry – a welcome alternative for the thoughtful groom!
Find Stores That Specialize In Men’s Engagement Rings And Styles
Times are changing, and jewelry stores are finally starting to catch up. Despite this, more traditional big-name jewelers tend to stick to their tried-and-tested formula, which can mean plain and often cookie-cutter options. So instead of forcing yourself to find the perfect piece for your beau at a Tiffany & Co, consider checking out other stores that understand modern men deserve beautiful engagement rings like these.
As an added bonus, shops that specialize in collections of wedding rings for men will understand the styling process. That means embodying a bold, more masculine design language than “traditional” choices.
Look For A Matching Wedding Band
The search is over, and you’ve managed to shop for the best possible ring for your beau. But there’s one more thing you can do before you close up shop and pop the question: find a matching wedding band. Some men transfer their engagement rings to their right hands after the wedding ceremony, which can be a great way to immortalize their commitment to their partners.
If this sounds like something you and your beau would be interested in, consider purchasing a wedding band that complements the engagement ring.
Don’t know where to start? Here are a few unique styles you might consider. Our personal favorites are men’s wedding bands in two tone with a touch of design work or something equally stylish like a brushed or rugged finish.
If your man prefers more understated and sleek looks, something like a white gold, platinum or palladium ring will look right at home on his hand.
We recommend working this out with the jeweler in charge of the engagement band.
Where To Order Men’s Engagement Rings | OutCoast’s Favorite Ring Shop
Now that you’ve gotten your wedding band education, you’re ready to shop for a ring your partner will love. If you’re looking for the best place to find the perfect band that can wow your partner while spelling out exactly how much you love them, Diamonds Direct of Tampa Bay is your best bet.
Skip the store-to-store search and find the ring of your dreams in store or on their website. Diamonds Direct, an LGBTQ-wlecoming Florida small business, offers a steady supply of modern everyday jewelry as well as engagement rings – they can even fulfill custom orders.
Diamonds Direct has the OutCoast seal of approval, and that means you’re getting quality for a fair price – a perfect way to propose to the man you love.
For more wedding tips in Florida, visit our Wedding Guide.
***Disclaimer: There is a good chance that this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through them, we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you (for which we are extremely grateful).